Thursday, March 08, 2007

Berating the Yet

I'm not sure what the rules are here. After I post my blog entry for the week, or month, can I edit it? Can I go in a tinker with a couple of things? Rethink my analysis of life's trivialities? Add question marks to questions? Fix my spelling errors?

I really don't know. It seems to me that grammatical nips and tucks should be fine. They make me look more intelligent and allow those two lucky folks who are reading this to understand me and continue to be my friends.

But other than that, I think it should be off limits.

For example. Last entry, I do believe I used the word "yet" twice in a sentence and at least three times in a given line. I yetted about all willy nilly, posturing my Englishified conjunction, wielding it gracelessly and, let's admit it, carelessly.

Should I get the chance to rewrite? To pose another conjunction?

No.

The abuse of yet reveals me. My love of conjunctions, my desire to be connected to the world, my tendency toward overdramatization. And that should stand as a testimony to me, to who I am at this moment, to how I engage with language and how I present myself to you, dear reader 1 and reader 2.

And yet.

No comments: