Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Preschool! The Musical!

Child and mother walk out of house into bright new day. They head for their fuel efficient car and preschool! The sun shines and the birds sing, providing much needed tuneful accompaniment to what will be the opening song, a ploy the mother hopes will get the reluctant toddler out the door and, she's hoping, into the car.

[Mother]

Look, they already took our trash.
I'm glad I put it out there fast.
And the recycling is all gone--
Finn, can you hurry along?

So we can go to preschool
Where you can break all the rules

[Finn]
With Emma, Nate, Ashley, and Ty
Two girls and three cool guys

[Mother]
Your little toddler troop
(And someone else gets to clean up poop)

[Finn]
It all happens at preschool
Oh, mama, it's very cool

And we play all day long
Sometimes we sing silly songs

[Mother]
Well, then let's just move it along
So we don't miss a single one

[Finn]

I love my preschool
The fours are ubercool

We own those shiny halls

[Mother]
Finn, I know you're trying to stall

Now, please, get in the door

[Finn]

But what's this I see on the floor?
A book, perchance a toy
That I shall use as a decoy

To stall our drive to preschool
Because even though it is so cool

I am after all a boy
Who has an affinity to annoy
And to thwart all mama's plans
By bending them to my own ends

No comments: