Monday, April 02, 2007

From Whence Chicken Broth, Father?

We're making lunch and Barry's concocting some of his famous jasmine rice. He sautes onions, then the actual rice. He then adds some rosemary and soups it all up in chicken broth, instead of water. A flavor sensation.

Finn likes to help in the kitchen and because he is three and a human, likes to ask questions. Today's chicken broth stumped him.

"Is that apple juice?" he asks.

"No," Barry answers, "that's chicken broth."

"What's chicken broth?"

I can field this one. I hand Finn an apple and jump into my lecture: On Being and Juiciness.

"Chicken broth is like apple juice," I start. "Apple juice comes from the juice of apples. You mash the apples and the juice is what's left behind. Chicken broth," I can already see my mistake, but forge on, "is the juice from chickens."

Thankfully, Finn was too busy choking on his apple to come up with a retort.

No comments: