Thursday, May 31, 2007

I Dream of Blogging

I started this blog for very pure reasons. For that matter, I started my last blog--and the one before that--for very pure reasons. To write. To share. To update family. Because I am notorious for not being able to afix stamp to letter. And even rather infamous for possibly not even knowing where my post office is to buy such mailing equipment.

Then I found dooce and I liked it and I heard about how she and her husband quit their jobs and blog and create blog-related product pretty much full-time. Well, very much full-time except for those occasions when they have a life, which seems to happen to them a lot more than it happens to me.

And then, about a month or so ago, I read this entry and saw this one, wherein, to sum, they buy a house and actually hire people to do things, like decorate it. For them. All funded by ad revenues and other sundry financial perks related to blogging.

And I realized. They don't just have a life, they actually live The Life.

So I relaunched my blog to follow in her footsteps--and so many other blog-for-food Sherpas. I also added a wee little ad, way down the page (maybe you've seen it?) with the dream of very large paychecks landing in my mailbox because the folks who visit my blog really do wonder if they're gay.

(I'm wondering what exactly about my content trips that ad. Hmm.)

Now, I'm reducing this, I know. I am neither successful novelist nor successful bloggist. Because in both fields of play I can count my readers on one hand. And odds are good I just got off the phone with half of them.

But that's my version of the American Dream. And someday, and I'm hoping real soon like, it will be brought to you by a leading fast food restaurant that I won't even let my kid eat at.

No comments: