Monday, May 14, 2007

Making an Entrance

Bear here.

Mother's Day seems like a good time to put my first post onto the blog. The Smab Mouth herself has been hounding me for months to post. She keep reminding me that SMAB is an acronym for both of us. But hey, I communicate in images not the written word.

Still, here we go with the words...

I woke up early today to begin the prep for the Mom's Day brunch. I was taking my first crack at making scones so I wanted to allow for ample time for screw-ups. I'd like to think that I can get around fairly well in the kitchen. Who am I kidding, I rock the kitchen, as long a it doesn't entail baking. Can you see where this is going?

I didn't feel quite ready for the full-on, from-scratch scones so I went with the box variety. And yes, I screwed the pooch on the first round. Black bottoms, doughy centers. Just as I was about to leave for the grocery for another box, Finn called out from his room.

"Papi...Papi..."

I asked him if he wanted to go with me to the store, but he said he wanted to wake up Momma. It was still quite early, so I reminded him that he should let her sleep in a bit, it being her day and all. It's not always a good idea to wake her up too early anyway. She is known to be a might "unpredictable" in the mornings.

I couldn't convince him to go with me to the grocery, so, being the stellar parent I would like to think I am, I sat him down in front of cartoons. The Perils of Penelope Pitstop to be exact. One of my childhood favorites. I asked him to stay put until I got back.

After buying another box of scones mix, as well as the eggs the I forgot to get the day before for her favorite lox/spinach/cheese/sour cream omelet, I returned home to find Finn dutifully watching the Boomer network.

Here's the impressive thing. This is why I love and respect my child so much.

As soon as I returned, my 3-year old boy got up from the couch to turn off the TV and the surround sound stereo. I asked him if he was done and he replied...

"Yes Papi. I watched cartoons while you were at the store but it's Mother's Day and I have to clean up the toys in my room before Momma wakes up. I told her that would be my present."

He proceed to clean up all of the Legos, Megablocks, Transformers, and Star Wars figures that he literally threw into all corners of his room yesterday will trying to empty boxes to use as his impromptu transportation vehicles.

I really can't stress what a milestone this was. He is a good kid, but like most kids, he always refuses to clean up his toys. I can't say that I really blame him. How can you truly survey the landscape of your imagination with all of your components neatly piled into boxes on shelves. Still, he was willing to make the sacrifice for his Momma.

Of course, as soon as he was done, he went to find his card for her and ran into her bedroom to wake her up. Luckily, our window of "unpredictablity" was over and she was happy to begin her day.

However, Finn didn't allow her to open the card herself because as he clearly informed her...

"I have to open this. I'm a much better opener than you."

No comments: